THE MOST SUCCESSFUL DOMESTIC HUMANITARIAN EFFORT IN THE UNITED STATES SINCE THE UNDERGROUND RAILROAD
A Circle of local volunteers has recently formed to help bring Afghan refugee families or individuals to the Mid-Hudson Valley. Our Circle’s sole effort is to welcome, resettle and integrate these exiles into our community. Similar Sponsor or Welcome Circles, made up of community groups, veterans, religious organizations and humanitarian teams have formed in over 250 communities across the US. These grassroots groups are helping to resettle some of the 85,000 Afghan refugees who came to the US. when the Taliban took over Afghanistan in August 2021. Initially housed in temporary tents and barracks at US. military bases across America, the bases were cleared in February 2022. Many Afghans are struggling to integrate into our communities. We are doing something to assist these people, you can help too!
Today, thousands of Afghan refugees remain on US bases overseas or in awful conditions as “stateless people” in overseas refugee camps. Each week, according to the State Dept., and the Dept. of Homeland Security, a plane from overseas brings an additional 300 Afghans to a temporary location in Virginia, to be resettled across the country. These new arrivals are waiting for impromptu organizations like our Circle to resettle them. Other Afghans, hunted by the Taliban, came into America through other paths and have no sponsor, no Immigration Agency to assist them, no money, clothing or official papers. These include the two Afghan families our Circle is presently assisting.
There are many ways you can help. Some are:
- Contact others about the Situation, and tell them what we are doing to alleviate a bit of it.
- Contact your local Community Group, Religious Institution, etc., and tell them.
- Join our Circle as a Member. MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
- Join our Circle as a Supporter DON’T BE INDIFFERENT!
- Volunteer to help the Refugees when they arrive. For example, we will need Drivers to take them to appointments, etc. YOU CAN HELP IN THIS EFFORT!
- Pledge a Donation of Clothing, Furniture, Household Goods, Afghan Food, etc. timed for their Arrival here (not yet).
- Pledge a Donation of $$$ to help assist & support the refugees coming here. We have already raised over $10,000 in a few weeks, on the way to the necessary $30,000 to support a family for 3-6 months here. (Your info WILL NOT BE SHARED)
- Identify a multi-room apartment, mother-daughter house, private home or Air B&B that can house a Refugee Family or small group of unattached people. Housing can be Donated, or rents will be paid by the Circle. (Note: Housing currently occupied cannot be used or shared).
- Identify other community resources that will be helpful, such as use of a car, food coupons, gift cards, contacts with play groups, ESL teachers & translators, etc.
PLEASE CONTACT US WITH ANY QUESTIONS OR SUGGESTIONS
Tash-a-kur in Dari… Mirha-bani in Pashtu